Romy

a qwriting.qc.cuny.edu blog

Lady Eve

Filed under: Uncategorized — Romy Chiarotti at 11:45 am on Thursday, February 25, 2010

I enjoyed Lady Eve because I’m a sucker for romantic comedies. The biggest turn off for me was that it  was completely unrealistic that Charlie fell in love with Jean and couldn’t recognize that Eve was the same person. I understand it’s a movie and that aspect was supposed to be comical, but I guess it just didn’t work for me because instead of enjoying the second half of the movie, all I could think was: how could he be so damn ignorant? (yes, I know it’s just a movie)

Back then, “ideal” women were known to be pretty, fragile, innocent, and obedient. I admired that Eve’s character was very sarcastic, charismatic, and dominant, unlike most female movie characters at the time. Aside from Eve’s conniving side, her character reminded me of Jennifer Cavallari from Love Story (1970). I tried to find a clip of her on youtube, but all I could find was the movie preview. If you haven’t seen Love Story, I highly suggest watching it!

I don’t really have much of an opinion about Lady Eve otherwise… but stay tuned!

2

Amy Herzog

March 4, 2010 @ 11:11 pm

Hi Romy– I agree that the strength and complexity of Stanwyk’s character is one of the big highlights of this film.

I want to be sure you know, though, that the main objective of the blog posts is to share your thoughts about the reading assignments. Ideally you will connect the readings to the screenings, too, but in order to get credit for your blog/journal grade, you’ll need to include some detailed comments about the readings. The guidelines are posted on our main blog page– let me know if you have any questions.

3

Sung Chiu

March 11, 2010 @ 5:37 pm

Yes, I agree that Eve’s character really out shien everyone else’s. She was definitely the center of attention where ever she went.

4

dana318

March 14, 2010 @ 2:17 pm

Lady Eve’s character was definitely a stand out performance.

5

kciro100

March 15, 2010 @ 10:57 am

yes, i agree with you on how Lady Eve character was dominant and personally I love movies where the female charcters are dominant. i also agree with you about Charlie being so dume or naive

7

josecaamano

March 22, 2010 @ 1:27 am

Hey Romy-I absolutely agree with you in regards to the film’s highly unlikely plot, but I believe it is the very absurdity of story that allows the film to evolve. P.S., Love Story was a fantastic film, I also noted its the parallels with Lady Eve.

9

yue

April 7, 2010 @ 9:19 pm

I agree with yout that Charlie (Henry Fonda)”s reaction toward Lady Eve is unfathomable. I am pretty sure nearly everyone in the class thought how can he be so easily tricked into thinking Jean isn’t Lady Eve…but still it’s a fantastic movie. witty lines and everything.

26

Agen Judi Online Terpercaya

April 10, 2020 @ 11:40 pm

Agen Judi Online Terpercaya

Romy

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.